Since you're reading a photography blog, it seems fitting to talk about visibility. In particular, your visibility.
Call it what you will - your personal brand, your profile, your celebrity status – putting yourself ‘out there’ is often one of the scariest things you'll do as businessman or woman.
There’s no doubt you intellectually ‘get’ the benefits of standing out from the crowd. Those who succeed appear to magnetically attract business and career opportunities to them with ease.
But what if that’s not you?
What if you're uncomfortable with the different visibility vehicles – be that the stage, the page or the screen?
What if you're terrified of putting more of yourself out there, you're worried about what others might think of you, and you're scared of what you'll look like on film?
Here are 5 tips to safely raising your head above the parapet:
- Get a professional headshot. Use this on all your social media profiles, and on your CV. If you haven't got one, John Rose Photography has a fantastic £35 headshot service, so there’s no excuse!
- Practice makes perfect on video – expect being on camera to be more than a little scary at first. Take comfort in the fact that you will get better with practice. Whether you're promoting your business or looking for your next job offer, there is no better way than video for people to get a feel for the real you without meeting you in person.
- Learn basic copywriting techniques. Words are powerful. They get you noticed. Whether you're promoting your business or yourself, good copy sells. Web pages, press releases, CVs, job letters, adverts – words matter, so make yours count!
- Get over yourself. Identify what’s really holding you back from going for that promotion. From opening your dream business. From speaking up for something that matters to you. And surround yourself with like-minded, positive people who are on your side, who cheer you on, and inspire you to go for it despite your fears.
- Be you! Express yourself freely and fully to turn on your star power. Don't be a replica of someone else, or get bogged down comparing or contrasting yourself with others. You've got your own unique gift to give to the world and you're perfect just the way you are. Read the last sentence again – and believe it!
And if you're a woman who runs her own business, or wants to, grab a Guest Pass to Damsels in Success Salisbury on Monday 31st March (click here to register). Our theme for the month is ‘Magnetic Marketing: Let’s Get Visible’. We'll be exploring ways to try on our celebrity personas in a safe and relaxed environment.
Cheering you on! Love Lulu xx
Lulu Mungur | Chief Cheerleader & Director Damsels in Success Salisbury | 07711 640251
Good luck embracing your inner superstar and promoting yourself with ease. I'd love to hear how you get on. Connect with me on social media and let me know how I can help.
firstname.lastname@example.org | damselsinsuccess.co.uk/salisbury
facebook.com/lulumungur | twitter.com/lulumungur | uk.linkedin.com/in/lulumungur
About Lulu. Lulu helps professional and entrepreneurial women to find their fortune and discover their own formula for success with ease – what she likes to call finding your F-Factor. Lulu believes we all have it within us to be successful and that every girl deserves a real live fairy godmother to give her a helping hand. Passionate about supporting women in designing their ideal working lives that fit around the needs of those that they love, Lulu’s clients benefit from her boundless energy and solid business know-how, with more than 20 years’ experience of sales and marketing, business strategy and systems, and leading and managing teams. Lulu helps her clients expand their businesses or enhance their careers, without struggle or sacrifice in the other key areas of their lives.